Sunday, May 21, 2006

A Farewell Party for Medpundit.

She's been our leader, our "doyenne," since 2002. We can't let her go without a send-off, can we? Come on in, I'll take your coat. Glad you could make it!

The guest of honor is here. (She looks...happy. Relieved, perhaps?) We have quite a gathering. DB and GruntDoc are here, and Dr. Emer is relaxing on the deck. Dr. Choi brought his lovely family. Help yourself to our lavish buffet! Can I get you a drink?

(Ahem.) All right, everyone. It's time for some tributes. Who wants to start?

Dr. RW:
"Medpundit was one of the pioneers in medical blogging. She influenced my blog in many ways and will be missed."
GruntDoc:
"I thought I'd made the big time when I got a mention in her blog in August, 2002, and I've been a long-term reader and fan of hers. She's what people think of when you say "medical blogger": she commented on medical news and ideas in a meaningful, substantive way. That doesn't mean she's been opinion-free, far from it, and that made her blog more interesting, not less so."
Dr. Robert Centor:
"I have often told interviewers that I would not have become a medical blogger without Sydney Smith as a role model. She showed me that medical blogging could work.

"When I started my blog, I always measured my success by comparing what I was doing with her blog. In my mind she was the pathfinder."
Dr. Emer:
"I do pray it is not her final decision. She gives excellent insights on almost any medical issue and current health studies. I hope she still blogs. It need not be regular. It can be once a week or even once a month.

"I won't say goodbye, Medpundit.....I'd rather say I would wait until you can blog again. Godspeed!"
Kevin, MD:
"A sad day indeed. She was one of the reasons why I started this blog. Best of luck in the future, Dr. Sydney."

At her farewell post, visitors send their best wishes.
Here's Geena, of CodeBlog: "Wow... I hope you leave the blog up. There is wonderful information here. I've been reading medpundit for years! You'll be missed!!"

Aggravated DocSurg:
"I completely understand your dilemma, and wish you all the best!"

PalmDoc: "Thank you for your time with us sharing your life, wit and wonderful blogs."

Difficult Patient: "I totally understand . . .maybe you can do a "once a week" like many others--just a little "check-in" with the blogosphere! ;o) Enjoy your family!!!!! (Sounds like your kids are the same ages as mine.)"

Nick, from Blogborygmi: "I'm going to miss you, too. Thank you for all your encouragement in the beginning!"

Dr. Serani:
"You are going to be greatly missed."

Daily Capsule's Sue Pelletier: "Sydney, I have to add just one more, 'I'm going to miss you' to the list. Medpundit was one of my favorites, and your insights and experiences were terrific. Thanks for the memories."

Finest Kind Clinic and Fishmarket: "Bye. Will miss you. On the other hand, my blog doesn't cover medicine much anymore...too depressing..."

Dr. Ostrovsky, of medgadget: "Thank you for all your work. Perhaps you might consider posting infrequently, when something you find important comes up. Anyways, good fortunes to you."

We all thank you, Medpundit. You are already missed. Everyone join in, please:

"Happy trails to you,"

"For (s)he's a jolly good fellow" (yes, the kid is singing "he," but it's cute),
and "Happy Trails, again!"

6 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Emer said...

I hope she reads this. Thanks for gathering us, Shrinkette. :)

4:48 PM  
Blogger Sydney said...

Thank you, Shrinkette. I'm very touched.
And thank you, my fellow bloggers, for all of your kind comments.

Sydney

7:45 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

This was a lovely tribute to Medpundit.

8:32 AM  
Blogger aafan said...

There's a problem with that first link. It's supposed to bring you to her profile at Medscape. I can't fix it now ("no blogging at work!").

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent idea, Shrinkette. Very thoughtful and clever :-)

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice tribute, I always visited MedPundit for help in my homeworks, I'll surely miss her.

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Eugene, Oregon Forecast