Saturday, November 05, 2005

Death by caffeine?

This site purports to calculate the lethal dose of one's favorite caffeinated beverage.

I have a quibble, though. Beverages with low caffeine content would have to be taken in massive quantities. For example, the site reports that "after 1638 glasses of chocolate milk, I'd be pushing up daisies." I believe that my daisy-pushing would begin at a much lower dose, and that caffeine would be the least of my problems. Depending on the rate of ingestion, I'm thinking that "death by chocolate milk" involves volume overload, glucose abnormality, and electrolyte imbalance. Clearly, "Energy Fiend" would benefit from a medical consult. (Paging Dr. KidneyNotes!)

The biggest problem, of course, is that the patient tried this in the first place. The differential diagnosis might include psychotic mood disorders, thought disorders, cognitive disorders, and personality disorders. There would be plenty to keep a psychiatrist busy...

-via Boing-Boing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Hmmm...only 413.29 cans of Diet Pepsi for me, but I only drink half of that in one day so I'm safe...

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Eugene, Oregon Forecast