Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Better.

Thank you for the kind wishes! The eye drops are doing their job.

This isn't my first eye injury. The windows to my soul are frequently smudged and scratched by diverse foreign matter: dust, sand, cinders (in London!), cigarette ashes (in Chicago). Eye shadow (two hours before my wedding! My groom brought me to the ER, and I sat there, cringing, in my wedding gown.) Cat's paws, baby's fingers...

It's amazing that I still have vision.

My ophthalmologist was more than an hour late for my appointment. Clearly, he had overbooked. (Yes, I thought of this post while I waited.) But when I saw him, all I could say was, "I am so very glad to see you!" I couldn't imagine complaining about the wait, or even mentioning it. At what point would I have spoken up, or walked out? Ninety minutes? Two hours? I didn't have a chance to find out.

As he peered at my (anesthetized) eye with his slit lamp, I thought: how I wish we had something like this for psychiatry! If only we had a device that would help us look around inside patients' minds. They could sit at my "psychiatric slit lamp," and I could explore...

And when people said, "Oh, no, a psychiatrist! I have to watch what I say," I'd reassure them: "No, please, relax. I can't analyze you properly until you sit at my special device, my psychiatric slit lamp." Where can I get one? Let's ask the Flapdoodle...

Anyway, I can now see my blog. I see that there is nothing new on my blog. And I see that my e-mail inbox is overflowing. So I should probably start there, and try to think of some replies.

But again, some e-mailers seek advice. I can't give advice here! (See disclaimer in sidebar.) My answer is always the same: please talk to your doctor!

10 Comments:

Blogger Fat Doctor said...

Glad you're back!

5:47 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Love the idea about the slit lamp!

People say, "Oh no, are you going to analyze me?" when they meet a psychologist or psychiatrist or even students in the field. To which a fellow classmate says, "No, you're not that interesting."

Glad to hear you're doing better.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Big Lebowski Store said...

Shrink,

I was offering advice, not asking for it! Boy, your eyes must've been in tough shape!

best,

Flea

4:34 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

I'd rather not have you snooping around in my mind....:)

6:23 PM  
Blogger Maurice Bernstein, M.D. said...

Shrinkette, as they say "the eyes are the gateway to the soul". Therefore I really don't think that using even an ophthalmoscope in psychiatry would be an unreasonable idea. I hope you kept yours from medical school, you could use it now. ..Maurice.

9:40 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Glad you are on the mend. Happy weekend to you.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Medicoglia, RN said...

I'm with Joel...I already have two docs snooping around in my mind...don't need another thank you very much! :P

I don't understand why people ask for advice in email, from people who don't know them, have never known them and probably will never know them...it just doesn't work that way. In an email or instant message convo or a post, I am perfectly able to say everything is just fine, but sitting face to face other things besides what I am saying are seen.. The dark circles under my eyes, quivering chin, tears threatening to spill over and body language tell a whole different story. You just don't get that online. Ok...off my soap box now!

Glad you are feeling better.

Sera

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back--glad you are feeling better!!!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Greg P said...

Time to start using your Third Eye.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

The ER in your wedding dress?

I would have put you right at the head of the line and I bet no one would have minded.....

As a victim of many corneal abrasions in my time, I sympathize with you totally.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Eugene, Oregon Forecast