Thursday, February 16, 2006

Good heavens!

I wandered off with my watercolors for a bit, painting the flowers on my desk (they're like Spring - you should see them!). Now, checking in, I find more than 20 amazing comments to this post! Some are like essays. Bardiac asks why docs feel devalued... that topic could occupy a series of posts. (Managed care is only part of the answer.)

Most docs actually want their patients to be well informed. I send patients home with large folders of printouts about their diagnoses and meds. But how often a medical news item can lead one astray!

A patient is surprised when Dr. Hebert uses the word "impugned." Yes, after years of work and ponderous study and sacrifice, a little news clipping can feel like a blow to our fabled egos. Especially when the news clipping says that all of your complaints, emotional and physical, may be due to the phases of the moon, or the fillings in your teeth (and how unbearably annoying, when the news clipping turns out to be correct).

We can understand each other better through exchanges like these. I believe that's why most medbloggers blog...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I believe that's why most medbloggers blog..."

I couldn't agree with you more!

6:26 AM  
Blogger Medicoglia, RN said...

I absolutely agree as well. Dialogue increases understanding, on both sides of the stethoscope. ;)

Sera

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The article certainly made me think. Like another person who responded earlier, it makes me very grateful for the physicians (with the exception of that one) who have treated me. I would just say, please don't take it personally when a patient questions or asks about a particular medication or treatment that they've read about. I know from my own experience when I question, it's certainly not meant as a personal attack because I DO want to know that physician's opinion - I'm just trying to make the best decision for myself.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Eugene, Oregon Forecast