Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Do doctors encourage their children to be doctors?

In MSSPNexus Blog:
"In a recent poll on DocsBoard physicians were asked whether they would encourage their children to go to medical school. At the moment the results are running 81% No, 19% Yes.

Among the comments:

Yes, but not necessarily for clinical practice... I'll need someone who knows something to protect me from all of the 'allied health professionals' when I get old.

OK, the social respect ain't what it used to be, and the pay isn't what hard-driving MBAs get nowadays, but the intangibles are terrific.

I would rather raise my children to get adequate life-satisfaction from some endeavor less likely to drain them or disillusion them.

In good conscience, I couldn't. There are simply too many negatives nowadays. Medicine has its rewarding moments, but they are fewer and farther between all the time and the future looks only worse. There are other careers that are as fulfilling and rewarding with less burdens and frustrations.
Click for Eugene, Oregon Forecast