Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Why we sing in the shower

Today's "Ask Yahoo!": What is it about the shower that makes people want to sing?
...As we learned from the San Francisco Exploratorium, the sound of a person's voice actually improves in the small, confined space of the shower. When you sing in an open area, you "basically only hear your voice as it is produced." However, in the shower, the sound waves reflect off the walls, producing a much richer sound, improved bass, and more volume. Goodbye, William Hung. Hello, Bette Midler.

Some theories are less scientific...
(In case you were wondering. And here's "how magicians 'saw' people in half.")

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe that's why so many people think they are good singers on American Idol.

3:28 AM  
Blogger Joel said...

I've known that for years.

I think the steam clears the throat, too.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a great project that asked people to record their shower songs, and has stuff about singing, etc. :-)

http://www.showersongs.info/

5:07 PM  
Blogger Assistant Village Idiot said...

I played in a band in college that did CSN&Y - type vocals. We always sounded better practicing in the stairwell, for reasons similar to this.

5:32 AM  
Blogger Fat Doctor said...

Dang, and here I thought I was just really, really GOOD! My confident not yet muted, I will continue my morning concerts.

5:46 AM  
Blogger kentuckyliz said...

How about...being naked and happy? That hot water feels good.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Eugene, Oregon Forecast