Monday, September 12, 2005

How does internship change us?

Izzy shares his list:
1. I walk three times faster.
2. I eat all of my meals in around 3-5 minutes...even when I'm at home.
3. I feel like my leg is constantly vibrating.
4. My handwriting is getting sloppy.
5. I believe weekends to be nothing more than a myth.
6. I look forward to sleeping more than I do eating.
7. I get confused and/or feel incompetent at least once a day.
8. I speak in abbreviations.
9. I covet nice pens.
10. I consider waking up at 5:20 in the morning to be "sleeping in."
I'm amazed that he has time to blog this. I don't recall any spare minutes during my internship.

How did internship change me? I don't entirely trust my memories of that year. The whole experience is a blur to me now.

I think internship forced me to be more focussed, responsible, and organized than I had ever been in my life. I learned the difference between watching crises from the sidelines and facing them head-on.

How should internship change us? How did it change you?

6 Comments:

Blogger james gaulte said...

A psychiatric quesiton for Dr.Shrinkette.
What is the basis for the coverting of nice pens? I believe it infects medical students and may even grow stronger after the internship.Even retired docs lust after nice pens.What on earth underlies this pathology? Does med school do something in this regard to the limbic cortext?

7:53 AM  
Blogger aafan said...

Mr. Gaulte: I assume that phallic symbolism needs no elaboration on my blog. Is there another reason for coveting nice pens? If anyone has an insight, I'd love to hear it!

1:32 PM  
Blogger Greg P said...

I think it's similar to the obsession some runners have with shoes, always looking for a more perfect shoe.

We are what we write, and since we do so much of it, we want the pen that writes effortlessly and feels good in the hand.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Greg P said...

Internship is one of the rites of passage one can go through, a tribal ritual for the tribe of us doctors. And you never want to do it again.
I remember the first day and the last day of my internship very well. The first day I was on the ICU/CCU rotation, and I was on call that first night. I spent it staring at the bumps on the ceiling of my call room.
On the last day I felt like the Man of Steel -- I was impervious, there was nothing "they" could do to hurt me, give me ten patients to admit, keep me up all night, I don't care, because I AM OUTTA HERE!

7:55 PM  
Blogger aafan said...

Greg P: You started your internship in the ICU, and immediately took call? I recall that only the most stellar interns were allowed near the ICU in July. I am totally impressed! I also recall that impervious feeling. It was fleeting!

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah I'm amazed I have time to update my weblog at all. That's one of the things I've missed the most during this crazy year, the time to do the things that aren't medicine-related.

Greg hit the nail on the head with his comment about the pens. There's nothing more frustrating than being in a hurry and needing to write an order or a note addendum only to find that my pen is missing or isn't writing properly. When I find a pen that is reliable, comfortable, and easy to clip on my coat I am smitten. This is how I judge all my writing utensils now...

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Eugene, Oregon Forecast