Sunday, September 11, 2005

How will we remember 9/11?

The green flyer was stuffed in our mailbox three weeks ago. "Block Party, September 11, 11 AM. Bring your own lunch, bring your own chairs, bring something to share."

It's quite cheerful. There's no American flag, no mention of losses or history. I'm all for sharing and community, but...a picnic? On 9/11?

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. Here's WAPO this morning:
Historians Fear Attack Date's Significance Could Fade.
"For a date so freighted with emotion, images and pain, the diluting of the 9/11 anniversary seems impossible to fathom, especially in such places as Washington and New York. But historians said that decades from now, Sept. 11 might take on a different dimension. In other words, Sept. 11 eventually might become another holiday on which many Americans grill hot dogs, go to sales or spend a long weekend at a quaint bed-and-breakfast.

Throughout the generations, what were powerful and vital holidays take on a less powerful, more consumer-oriented flavor and become something like a picnic day,' said Gary M. Laderman, associate professor of religion at Emory University."

I've posted my experiences of that day here. I had planned to spend some time browsing here or here, and listening to this.

Should I go to the Block Party? I'm new to the neighborhood. I don't know what this affair will be like. And, of course, sharing and community are good, perhaps especially on 9/11 anniversaries.

But I don't think I can party, or bring myself to a picnic. Not today. My memories are too fresh.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Not sure that I would have planned a block party on that day or attended if there was one. Here in NY, we spent a quiet day, took in the skyline and watched a few tributes. "Not feeling festive" was certainly the mood for the day, at least for me.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Internal Medicine Doctor said...

I personally would love to tell off whoever planned that party. bve so kind as to forward me his email.
disguisting.

9:48 AM  
Blogger aafan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Eugene, Oregon Forecast