Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Mr. Sun's advice

An open letter to the psychiatric community.
Shrinkette wants to know when it is appropriate for psychiatrists to use humor with patients. I'm thinking that I might be an expert here, because I am funny and also possibly mentally ill (references available upon request).

I would have to say the answer is no.

* Psychiatrists: unless you have a strong fifteen minutes that you've tried out in the clubs, then stick to exploring my your patient's domineering mother.
* Patients: you are in serious trouble if your therapist opens your appointment with, "How about that airplane food, have you ever tasted this stuff? But seriously, how long have the voices been speaking to you and what do they tell you to do?"
He also asks why we won't do something about "the Rasputin in our midst." Psych resident Maria addresses this at Intueri. She's quite brave to do so.
Click for Eugene, Oregon Forecast