Saturday, December 03, 2005

TV news anchors joke about face transplants.

A neurologist blogs:
Yesterday, I watched pieces of what one would have to characterize as a 'humorous, human-interest story' which, of all things, was related to the partial facial transplant that happened in France.

It started out with allusions to the movie Face Off and then the movie in which Hannibal Lector wears the face of a man after cutting it off his head (cut to video clip of this). All this delivered by the perpetually beautiful anchorpersons, female and male, with wisecracks. Then we go to interviewing people on the street, with the question being, 'Would you donate your face to someone?' At the end, Mr. Cute anchor jokes about maybe having a different face for every day of the week(?).

I'm sorry, I just find this sickening. Maybe they should in their off-work hours visit some people who have had their faces torn to shreds by a dog or in an accident, or had very extensive surgery for cancer of the face. What's it like to go through life without a face? That is what facial reconstruction is about...

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Coulnd't agree more. Those who never experienced or witnessed pain or trauma seem to always find something funny about it.


~Deb

7:39 AM  
Blogger Medicoglia, RN said...

I agree with Dr Deb...people always seem to find something funny about someone elses pain.

On the flip side though...those who HAVE lived it (whatever "it" is) often also make wisecracks. Ask me how many alters it takes to change a lightbulb, or what kind of car a multi should drive. ;) Somehow this is different. You now how have me thinking, why is it different? I may have to blog about this.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could never let myself become a network anchor. I'd lose face before my friends.

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click for Eugene, Oregon Forecast